NYSTA is committed to preserving the highest standards of integrity and ethical principles among its members. To this end, we have established the following Code of Ethics, consisting of Principles of Ethics elaborated with specific Rules of Behavior advocated by NYSTA.
All NYSTA membership applicants must agree to this Code of Ethics for acceptance into the organization Principles of Ethics form the underlying moral basis for the Code of Ethics.
Rules of Behavior are specific guidelines for minimally acceptable professional conduct applicable to all individuals.
PRINCIPLES OF ETHICS:
NYSTA members shall honor their responsibility to hold paramount the welfare of persons they serve professionally.
NYSTA members shall honor their responsibility to achieve and maintain the highest level of professional competence.
NYSTA members shall honor their responsibility to the public by promoting public understanding of the profession, and providing accurate information in all communications involving any aspect of the profession.
NYSTA members shall honor their responsibilities to the profession in their relationships with colleagues, students and members of allied professions by upholding the dignity of the profession, maintaining harmonious professional relationships, and accepting the organization's standards.
RULES OF BEHAVIOR:
- I pledge to provide competent professional service to all students and clients.
- I pledge to continue professional development throughout my career, and to keep abreast of current developments in vocal pedagogy by reading current literature, subscribing to professional publications, and attending lectures and conferences.
- I pledge to realistically advise my students, and to encourage realistic professional and/or personal goals.
- I pledge to use every resource, including referral when appropriate, to ensure that high quality service is provided to every student.
- I pledge to represent my professional credentials honestly to students and to the public.
- I pledge to refrain from any false claims regarding myself or my students.
- I pledge to refrain from dishonesty, fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, abuse, sexual harassment, or any form of conduct that adversely reflects on the profession or on my ability to serve in the profession.
- I pledge to refrain from disparaging the work of a fellow teacher, except in cases where violations of this Code can be proven.
- As a Singing Teacher, I pledge to make no financial arrangements with a student based on future earnings, such as commissions or contingencies; nor shall I accept any fee for aid in securing an engagement.
- I pledge to refrain from proselytizing the students of another teacher.
- I pledge to uphold a student's right to study with any teacher he or she may desire.